Spring Storms are coming and this month, we want to talk about roofs, specifically impact resistant roofs!!
Q: What is an impact resistant roof?
A: A roof made with specific materials to reduce, or in some cases, prevent damage from wind and hail storms.
Q: How much does it cost?
A: I spoke to one roofer who quoted me an additional $30 per square for impact resistant roof shingles class 4. For a standard 2400 sq. ft. home, that would be between $1,200-$1,500 increase for the entire roof.Q: How much can I save on insurance?
A: Not all carriers offer discounts for having an impact resistant roof but most of the big ones do and the savings are pretty nice. You can save between 15-20% for that roof!! If your policy currently costs you $1,800-$2,000, you could see a $350 savings!! That’s a pretty nice savings!!!
Here are some things to consider:
- Based on the example above, the roof would pay for itself in 3-4 years based on the annual insurance savings.
- Having an impact resistant roof will not make your house bullet proof but it sure will help. It’s not going to prevent damage if we get baseball or large type hail but the smaller storms will pass right on by. This means you will have to replace that roof less often savings you thousands in deductibles and claims!!
- Once you pay for the upgraded roof, insurance will replace the roof like for like in the future. So if we do get that baseball sized hail, you won’t have to pay for the upgraded roof again, insurance will pay for it, minus the deductible of course. So essentially, you have to make this expense once!! The best news is that when you do replace the roof, you start saving again on insurance!!
- If you decide to go this route, make sure you get a Class 4 certificate from the roofer, you will need this to claim your discount.
- Let us know as soon as that roof is replaced as we can apply the discount mid-policy term for you, (carrier rules dependent).
If you have to replace your roof and are considering this upgrade, we suggest you do two things:
- Ask your roofer for a quote on the difference in price.
- Call us for a quote on what savings you would have with a class 4 roof.
As always, if you have any questions about any of this, give us a call and we can help you out!!
We are here to help with anything you need so please do not hesitate to call us at 469-606-4590